Automatic Image Registration (AIR) provides assistance to image analysts in performing their tasks. AIR could be used to facilitate strategic, operational and tactical decisions, in both military and civilian applications.
In comparison with other registration methods, such as manual or intensity-based registration, AUG Signals’ AIR product has several advantages and innovations, providing:
- Fully automatic multi-layer co-registration of images from similar or dissimilar sensors
- Increased number of automatically identified control points between multi-sensor image pair
- Increased spatial registration accuracy for multi-sensor image co-registration
- Increased similarities between the images by extracting feature layers
- Automatic vector-to-image data conflation
- Fully automatic processing, the algorithm does not require any prior knowledge of the images
- Sub-pixel accuracy – in the RMS error sense
- Automatic registration capabilities that employ different transformation functions
- Intelligent and efficient control points estimation and global consistency checking to eliminate mismatched points
- Robust and works for many different kinds of multi-sensor images
miliAIR software toolkit automatically registers temporal hyperspectral, polarimetric SAR or multi-sensor images at sub-pixel registration accuracy, and is built on an area-based feature-matching algorithm that intelligently identifies control points between two images. It then aligns one image with the other, using high order polynomial transformation. A consistency check determines the number of valid control points – and together with the calculated Root-Mean-Square (RMS) error can be used as a metric in measuring registration accuracy.