Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Education: Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in relevant field
About A.U.G. Signals Ltd.
AUG was established in 1986 and is a research oriented company focused on the development of advanced Signal Image and Data Processing (SIDP) algorithms. The company is at the forefront of research and development in several areas including: image registration, data mining, detection and recognition, multi-sensor fusion and intelligent situation assessment. The company provides services in data collection, processing, analysis and delivery, working with data from satellites, airborne, and ground sensors. These technologies are applied to a variety of fields, including: military, homeland security, mineral and hydrocarbon exploration, environmental monitoring, hyperspectral hydrocarbon detection and data mining for maritime surveillance.
About the Position
AUG Signals is developing intelligent systems for environmental monitoring. As a Mechatronics Engineer with a focus on electromechanical design, you will evaluate new sensors, valves, and low-power electronics; design, build and test prototypes of electromechanical fluidic devices as well as chemical and photonic sensors; and build interfaces for sensor data analytics and signal processing algorithms.
You will be responsible for:
- Taking mechanical and electronic hardware design from concept to prototype, and to full manufacturing and certification
- Creating validation reports and conducting tests to ensure optimal system performance
- Working with other team members, contacting manufacturers, and vendors to support design and prototyping efforts
- Assembling and testing components, as well as supporting manufacturing
- Deploy and install prototype and final products to operational sites
- Assisting with upgrading and production of existing products
- Seeking out and evaluating the latest technologies (including competitive analysis) to determine their potential applications in company projects
You want to work for a small company that lets you think outside the box. You are driven and believe that work is not just a job, but an opportunity to leave your mark on the world. You enjoy being surrounded by creative and cheerful people who are passionate about their work. You are motivated and thrive on solving challenging problems. Lastly, you have some form of higher education and the common sense to support it.
Required Technical Skills:
- University or college degree in Mechatronics, Electrical, Computer, or Mechanical Engineering, or a related field
- 1-3 years of experience with design, construction, and control of electromechanical devices, particularly for fluid flow and material/chemical characterization applications
- Exposure to creating an integrated design and construction of a fully-functional manufacturing workcell.
- Understanding of all phases of the System Development Lifecycle
- Experience with reverse engineering hardware and software projects, or contributing significantly to a multidisciplinary engineering project
- Strong programming skills (Java, C#, etc) and the ability to create quick scripts to automate hardware testing and analysis (MATLAB, Python, etc.)
Desired Soft Skills:
- Proven technical writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
Bonus points for:
- Experience with mechanical design, drafting, and prototyping (CAD tools, SolidWorks, hands-on experience with building mechanical prototypes and integrating with electronics)
- Design of sheet metal or plastic components, and experience working with a professional shop for fabrication
- GUI development, Java, GIS, or SQL database management
- Knowledge of signal, image or video processing
- Knowledge of fundamental chemistry principles and chemical laboratory experience
- Valid Ontario driver’s license